At the drop of a pen

Katie has always been a safety-minded person. Since having a son eight months ago, that inclination has gone into overdrive. She has a perfectly kid-proofed house, a car seat with the highest safety rating, and of course, she knows what to do if she smells natural gas in her home.

Despite all her know-how, it took a morning at her sister’s house to realize she was missing something important.

On that Saturday morning, Katie and her sister Miranda sat at the kitchen table. As they discussed a movie they’d both recently seen, Katie accidentally knocked a pen to the floor. As she knelt down to grab it, she noticed a small device plugged into an electrical outlet. It almost looked like a smoke detector, but she didn’t quite recognize it.

“What is that?”

“Oh, it’s carbon monoxide detector. Your house doesn’t have them?”

Immediately, Katie knew her older home didn’t have any installed. Miranda went on to explain how carbon monoxide it’s odorless, colorless, and toxic for humans and animals.

Katie was alarmed enough to pull out her phone and do some research. She saw that carbon monoxide detectors are required on new homes, and quite essential for any home that uses natural gas, wood stoves, or propane. She learned that early symptoms often resemble the flu, but without the fever, and can quickly get worse after that.

On the way home, Katie stopped and bought two carbon monoxide detectors—one for each floor of her home. For the cost of about $40, Katie also got some peace of mind.

One small, easy, inexpensive step will safeguard her family—and can safeguard yours, too--from a serious health problem caused by CO.


Learn more about safety and watch a few safety videos.

Learn more

Tags:

  1. Safety

Share